Frisco HS News

Blood Drive

The Carter Blood Care bus at Frisco High School for last fall's blood drive.

Aaron Levi

Aaron Levi

Caroline Frerichs, Contributor

Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood. Twice a year, Frisco High School gives its students an opportunity to donate a pint of blood to save three lives. The second blood drive of the year is on Thursday, March 8th, 2018, in the competition gym.

In contrast to previous year’s, seniors only need to have donated two times to graduate with a red cord. These donations do not have to be done through the school; A student will get credit for donating blood through any organization and at any location in their four years of high school. 

Who can donate?

• Students 16 years or older
    • If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must have a consent form and a Zika form signed by your parents turned in before or on the day of donation.
  • Students who are at least 110 pounds.
  • Students who have traveled internationally to certain countries may not be eligible to donate. Ask Mrs. Figueroa or at the sign-up booth for the list of countries.
  • Blood Donor Guidelines and Questions and Answers from Carter Blood Care

Pre-donation:

You have ten pints of blood in your body. When you donate blood, you are giving one pint, therefore, precautions must be taken. Make sure to eat a good meal an hour before donating. Drink water or juices regularly throughout the day of donation.

Pre-donation forms for 16/17 year olds:

When you sign up to donate, if you are 16 years of age you will be given two permission forms that must be signed by your parents: one regarding Zika and the other confirming parental consent for donating blood. If you are 17, you will be given one permission form regarding Zika. It is absolutely essential that you turn these forms in by the time you are called to donate, otherwise you will not be able to participate in the blood drive. It is also important to remember to bring a photo-ID, (this can be government or school issued), on the day of donation.

Zika Permission Form for Minors v01

Zika Information Sheet

Parental Consent Form

Sign up here:  https://ww2.greatpartners.org/donor/schedules/drive_schedule/72547 

The Donation Process:

Before you donate blood, a Carter BloodCare member will ask you questions about your health and lifestyle (this information will remain confidential). Next, they will conduct a mini-physical, checking your pulse, temperature, and blood pressure. Shortly following, they will prick your finger to get a drop of blood to ensure that you have enough iron in your blood to donate safely.

If everything looks good, the staff member will lead you to the donation bed/chair and insert a needle into your vein to draw blood. Drawing a pint of blood takes about eight minutes.

Post-Donation:

After you have donated blood, keep hydrated and eat a refreshment snack. Snacks and liquids will be provided. A member will tell you to sit and recuperate until you feel enough strength to return back to class. This is to ensure that you are 100% safe. Carter BloodCare suggests that you wait 24 hours before returning to strenuous activity.

If you are planning to donate, keep a lookout for a signup form sent to your Frisco ISD school email. If you prefer to sign up in real life, there will be a booth in the cafeteria for blood donation signups.