Frisco HS News

2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

The Highlights of a Great Game

Athletes walking through North Dakota St. human tunnel.

Mauricio Frye

Mauricio Frye

Lee Whitney, Contributor

The Miracle League football game was a big success!  On January 4, 2018, two of the greatest FCS teams in the country, the #1 ranked James Madison Dukes and the #2 ranked North Dakota St. Bison came to play flag football with the Miracle League of Frisco athletes.  The game had a chance to go down as one of the greatest in Miracle League history.  Both teams went through a 5-foot wide human tunnel to enter the new ground, Frisco Paintball.  Before the game, Frisco mayor, Jeff Cheney established a coin toss.  75% of these coin tosses resulted in tails, but despite North Dakota St calling tails, James Madison ended up defying the odds on the toss, because the result was heads.  James Madison has won the toss and elected to kick, so North Dakota St will start with the ball in the first half.  The game ran for 15:00 halves with a running clock and a 5:00 halftime.  As the game got started, James Madison’s kick resulted in a touchback, because the ball hit the roof.  Therefore, North Dakota St will start their drive on the 35-yard line.  At that point, they end up scoring and lead 7-0.  Every drive after a score starts at midfield, so, on James Madison’s first drive, they score after about 7 plays to make it 7-7, but North Dakota St. score afterward to make it 14-7 North Dakota St.!  Back-to-back touchdowns!  It was the first time that happened in the game’s history.  North Dakota St would lead 21-14 after a touchdown as soon as time expires in the first half.  At halftime, James Madison cheerleaders and mascot come out to perform.  Second half now, Brady Vaughn returned the kickoff and came close to a return touchdown, but they would score anyway to tie once again.  With about 1:15 left in the game with the score tied 35-35, it is 2nd & 2 for North Dakota St.  The pass was intercepted by James Madison!  What a defensive play by the Dukes!  They would eventually win on a touchdown with 6 seconds remaining!  It was the first pick-six in Miracle League history!  That touchdown also tied the league record for most points combined in this event which is 77 points.  What an unbelievable finish that was!  James Madison had come back to win 42-35!  It had gone down as one of the greatest games in Miracle League history!  Ashton would get MVP honors for the defensive play to snatch the Miracle League championship from the Bison.  But regardless of the result, everyone had a great time and had some fun with the FCS finalists!  The NCAA Miracle League football game will return next year, but it is projected to be on January 3, 2018.  Well done to these great athletes!

Final Score

1 2 Total
NDSU 21 14 35
JMU 14 28 42

1 Comment

One Response to “2018 NCAA Miracle League Game”

1. Christina Whitney on January 11th, 2018 11:55 pm

Very informative article. One item was left out… fabulous play-by-play commentary by Lee Whitney and Chris Morgan and great volunteer work by Kaden Dydalewicz, Olivia Capitel, and alumni Cathryn Tamney!

http://starlocalmedia.com/friscoenterprise/news/miracle-league-athletes-hit-the-field-for-flag-football-game/article_910e049c-f1c1-11e7-88bb-af8f86b6a866.html

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

Always On and Never Off

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

The Raccoons Raise the Roof in the Blackout Pep Rally

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

Frisco Athletes Sign for College

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

ENTERTAINMENT

The Origin of the Winter Games

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

Mixed Feelings About the 2018 UIL Realignment

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

Coolest Sport In Town!

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

It’s Time to Believe in Big XII Basketball

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

A Disney Ending

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

The Hidden Sport

• 2018 NCAA Miracle League Game

Sports

Thunder Vs. Warriors

The student news site of Frisco High School
2018 NCAA Miracle League Game