Frisco HS News

Migos – Culture II Review

Migos Releases New Album

Kendall Klemm, Contributor, Kendall's Corner

“Culture II” by Migos came out on the one year anniversary of the original “Culture” album. With a track list of 24 songs, I cannot go in depth on each song; so if I don’t mention a song specifically, accept that as a 4/10.

That being said, the first track on the album I really enjoyed was “Narcos”; with a groovy bongo beat, it is a solid Migos track with solid verses from all three members. That being said, solid is really all that describes it. I give this individual song a 6.5/10.

“BBO” is the next track I enjoyed. With a feature from 21 Savage, it spices up the normal, sometimes boring, Migos formula. 21 Savage fits well with the mood and beat of the song, and the production is crisp. Takeoff, Migos member, shines on the last verse, with a nice fast flow. I give this song a 6/10.

A couple songs down the road, we get “Walk It Talk It,” which features Drake. The song has a very bass-boosted beat, and the verses are pretty good. Especially Quavo’s and Drake’s. This song is my second favorite on the whole album, and I give it a 7.5/10.

“Stir Fry” was a single released prior to the album’s release, which I enjoy very much. Assisted by a Pharrel produced beat, the Migos shine on this funky beat. I give this song a 7/10.

“Open It Up” has a distorted version of the song “Deadz” off of “Culture.” The verses are pretty unique on this one, with a nice, slower flow. I give it a 6/10.

“Notice Me” is a more laid back song, with a feature from Post Malone for the melody. Migos really don’t fit on the track well, but it isn’t too terrible. I give it a 5.5/10.

Last but not least, is the track “White Sand,” with Ty Dolla $ign, Big Sean, and Travis Scott. The song is undoubtedly the strongest on the album. FHS Senior Mitchell Houghtlin exclaims, “The song is the best Migos have ever put out. Travis Scott provides so much for the track.” I give the song a 9/10.

Overall, “Culture II” is expected. Nothing too experimental, but I was still pleased by the tracks they gave. Some interesting feature choices lead me to enjoy it even more than I would have had it been featureless. All that being said, I give the whole album a 7/10.