Frisco HS News

The Origin of the Winter Games

SOCHI, RUSSIA - FEBRUARY 19:  (R-L) Emil Joensson of Sweden, Iivo Niskanen of Finland, Maciej Kreczmer of Poland and Simeon Hamilton of the United States lead a group past the Olympic rings as they compete in the Men's Team Sprint Classic Semifinals during day 12 of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics at Laura Cross-country Ski & Biathlon Center on February 19, 2014 in Sochi, Russia.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

SOCHI, RUSSIA - FEBRUARY 19: (R-L) Emil Joensson of Sweden, Iivo Niskanen of Finland, Maciej Kreczmer of Poland and Simeon Hamilton of the United States lead a group past the Olympic rings as they compete in the Men's Team Sprint Classic Semifinals during day 12 of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics at Laura Cross-country Ski & Biathlon Center on February 19, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Luis Arrendondo Leon, Contributor

Friday, February 9, 2018, will be the inauguration of the Annual of Olympic Winter Games, and the U.S will be there along with 207 other countries. Taking place in Pyeongchang, South Korea, the Olympics this year raise national attention due to international conflicts with their neighbor, North Korea, who will also be competing. Either way, at the end of the day The Olympic is all about coming together as one and be friends competing with each other. But have you ever wonder why did the Winter Games were established as an official worldwide competition?

In ancient Greece, 776BC, the first written record of games describes a champion. However, more modern traditions such as the Winter specific games give us a more detailed insight. Five years after the birth of the modern Olympics in 1896, the winter sports were always staged in Sweden Called the Nordic Games, only Scandinavian countries competed. In 1911, the IOC proposed the staging of a separate winter competition for the 1912 Stockholm Games, but Sweden, wanting to protect the popularity of the Nordic Games, declined. Soon after, an agreement was reached with Scandinavians to stage the IOC-sanctioned International Winter Sports Week. It was so popular among the 16 participating nations that, on January 25, 1925, the IOC formally created the Winter Olympics, retroactively making Chamonix the first event. The Winter Games demonstrated that all sports, both Summer and Winter, could be played and bring entertainment to the World. In conclusion, It’s always important to know why things were built or established or even know of our own country history. This was how the winter games were built and with excitement, we hoped you enjoy the Winter Games and cheer up on your own or favorite Country. But as always “Go Team U.S.A “