Frisco HS News

Enter a World Of Imagination: Ready Player One Movie Review

“Ready Player One” is a divisive movie based on a divisive book. Adapted from Ernest Cline’s novel of the same name, “Ready Player One” is both loved and hated for its plethora of pop-culture references and nerdy winks. Seen by some as a love-letter to the eighties and as worthless pandering to others, “Ready Player One” is a beautiful, but flawed film. The main premise of the movie is based around the OASIS, a virtual world that users travel to in order to escape the despotic reality. When the creator of the OASIS passes away, his final edict is the creation of a Willy Wonka-esque competition for the total control of the OASIS and the massive fortune that accompanies it. Wade Watts, the main character, known in the OASIS as Parzival, teams up with friends Art3mis and Aech to win the contest and stop IOI, an ISP with plans to monetize the entire OASIS, from taking over and destroying the world they love.

First, the good. “Ready Player One” is a beautiful movie, with the idyllic, imaginative setting of the OASIS providing a contrast to the dreary Columbus slums. The OASIS sequences, in particular, are very well done: Spielberg and his cinematographers know how to represent the OASIS. Unique worlds such as the Distracted Globe nightclub and “Planet DOOM” make excellent set pieces. The main villains are also excellently portrayed; IOI director Nolan Sorrento, played by Ben Mendelsohn, is a standout, and virtual bounty hunter. I-R0k also has plenty of laugh-out-loud one-liners. The film adaptation also made a number of positive changes from the book, including the removal of some tedious segments and the alteration of the contest to become simpler. Freshman Dexton Kee said, “I thought the visuals and music were awesome.” Overall, the movie is simply “fun”.

Now onto the bad. The main characters, Art3mis and Parzival, are very flat, with little development besides “standard hero nerd and his sassy love interest”. Its hard to blame Spielberg, however; the characters were flat in the book as well. Additionally, many side characters were left without significance. For example, IOI assassin F’nale was a great addition to the movie, but outside of a tiny fight sequence, she gets little screen time. However, the most controversial part of the movie was the number of pop-culture references. While it was fun to spot a few characters in the background, like the Marines from Starcraft, Spartans from Halo, or Tracer from Overwatch, at times it felt stale and unnecessary. One of the most egregious pop culture cameos was the Iron Giant fighting against other robots in a fight sequence. The completely contradicts the Iron Giant’s motivations, as the character is a pacifist, who only when provoked, unleashes his weapons. Anthony Ha from TechCrunch summed up the flaws of the film when he said, “I genuinely felt like I was 10 years old again as I watched the first big set piece, with Wade racing through the streets of New York City in his Back to the Future-style DeLorean, dodging King Kong and the Tyrannosaurus from Jurassic Park. But I also felt a rapidly growing sense of diminishing returns.”

Overall, Ready Player One is a stylish adventure film that uses nostalgia to its advantage but ultimately comes up short of becoming a truly great movie.