Frisco HS News

Lady Raccoons Serve Up Another Fall Season

Players and Coaches See a Strong Season Ahead

%28Left+to+right%29+Varsity+volleyball+players+Haley+Fuller%2C+Nikida+Thayoutharaj%2C+and+McKinsey+Howell.+
(Left to right) Varsity volleyball players Haley Fuller, Nikida Thayoutharaj, and McKinsey Howell.

Aaron Levi

Aaron Levi

Aaron Levi, Contributor

When most students were still enjoying a leisurely summer vacation, our FHS Varsity Volleyball team members were busy practicing for the 2018 season. They reported to Coach Litchford in the gym on Wednesday, August 1st, where they continue to work out every weekday morning. Now that they have a had a few weeks of practice and a district game, the girls feel good about the new season.

“Our team is definitely very strong on offense,” said senior McKinsey Howell. “The new freshmen that came up through middle school have been working really hard at practice to be competitive and to play at the varsity level.”

“The girls are working their hearts out,” said longtime head coach Janie Litchford. “We are all looking forward to an exciting and successful season.”

The players are eager to capitalize on their strengths, but also recognize that the competition can be tough. “Reedy runs a really good defense,” said senior Haley Fuller. “Sometimes we have a  hard time kicking at other people’s defenses and really getting into their minds.”

Our offense is way more fast-paced than last year,” said senior Nikida Thayoutharaj, “and our defense is better at picking up balls than last year.” Nikida believes that part of that success is due to the special relationship team members have with each other. “We became a family before we became a team and our bond helps us be successful.”

District games began on Tuesday when the Lady Raccoons took on Independence and defeated the Lady Knights 3-0. “I really enjoy when game day comes,” said McKinsey. “Everybody just gets so excited and hyped up. It’s tradition before the games to have a little dance party in the locker room to get excited and cheer each other on before the games.”

One of the most important factors in a game includes the fans. A crowd of supporters can influence the overall enthusiasm at an event. “The more hyped the crowd is,” said Nikida, “the better we do because we want to make the people in the stands proud.”

McKinsey also recognizes how important it is to show spirit for the team. “At our first district game we had a huge crowd,” said McKinsey, “and I really think that’s what made us successful – everybody cheering us on.”

The Lady Raccoons will be playing every Tuesday and Friday until the third week in October. It is up to them and the fans in the stands to move the season into playoffs. The schedule is available at Lady Raccoons Volleyball Schedule 2018.